MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I phoned AXA and inquired about Classic Insurance as The MGF is 21yrs old. They beat around the bush for a while and said well its really 25 yrs but they had told me last week it was from 20yrs on. After deliberations and much discussion they gave me a price of € 275.00 euro about £ 250.00 for a full year. Now I must go about Classic Road Tax as its €636.00 here for the 1.8i which is mad. You guys have it great over in UK, I think around £275.00. Here classic tax is about € 52.00. So someone might let me know in UK if they are running on Classic Insurance & Road 😄Tax.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Well, we dont get away with much over here. I pay £500 on my RRS and its 13 years old now (Ive owned it for 7 of those) I got shot of my TF and Merc cab due to retiring and running costs. Ill have to dispose of the RRS pretty soon but as my wifes helth is poor, its one of the few cars shes comfortable in. Insurers- lairs and cheats. They have had so much money this last year with COVID and us not using our cars, they are creaming it.

Reactions: trevtherevs

·
Registered
mg_tf
414 Posts
Classic car insurance in the U.K. is normally available when the vehicle becomes 20 year old, although there are brokers who will ensure such cars as the F & TF when they less than 20 years old, but generally only if they are not used as the primary vehicle.
Road tax? Possibly we might be more fortunate than other countries in respect of >20 year old vehicles.
Insurers - liars and cheats? So much money this year with lower vehicle usage. Good point, but then consider the flood situation payouts just prior to lockdown last year, and again in recent weeks. If insurance is such a lucrative business, while aren’t we all investing in this sector. With quite a few decades of car insurance under the belt, I recall paying today’s premiums some 40 years ago, when obviously the real value was many times what it is now, so badly done by now??

·
Registered
MGF vvc Poko
791 Posts
Road tax used to be free here on cars 25+ but they changed it in the 80s or nineties and decided the car needs to be at least 40.

At this age you can use the classic plates and no road tax required.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,366 Posts
Wow....636 euros sounds a ridiculous amount (and to think there are people in the UK who whinge about paying less than 200!!). An MGF registered in the UK prior to 1st March 2001 will be taxed at the current blanket rate of £265/year.

Road tax used to be free here on cars 25+ but they changed it in the 80s or nineties and decided the car needs to be at least 40.
Vehicle Excise Duty (it hasn't been 'Road Tax' since 1937!) originally applied to all cars, regardless of age. A 25 year exemption was only introduced in Kenneth Clarke's autumn budget on 28th November 1995.

When Tony Blair's Labour government came to power in 1997, among their early actions (budget spring 1998) was to was freeze the previously rolling exemption, so it remained at 1973 until the new 40 year rolling exemption was introduced in 2013 - arbitrarily set at 40 years because that was the time between 1973 and 2013.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts