MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
mgf
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I need to buy a new catalytic converter for my MGF ( 2001 ) but not sure what to get as they vary so much in price does anyone have recommendations , all suggestions appreciated 馃槉

In the Garage
MG TF
Make sure you get the correct one for the car, the design changed around 2000 to accommodate the pre cat sensor so the cat will have longer with the bend in post cat tube fitted. I should think your F will be of the latter design, but you never know.
If you are planning on keeping the car I wouldn鈥檛 go for the cheap Cats on eBay, they tend to last as long as the next MoT. Given the cost of the OEM part is around 拢350 and that would likely last another 20 years. I have no experience of www.cats2u.co.uk but they are selling a type approved cat for 拢250.

Super Moderator
I got mine via European Car Parts. Can't remember the price as it was sometime ago, but it was reasonable. It was manufactured in Sheffield. You may want to factor in a replacement O2 sensor. They can be difficult to remove without damaging the threads.

Registered
If you have a Japanese spec car, you will need one that allows fitting the catalyst overheat sensor (not necessary for European spec cars). I have a spare one that I bought from a French dealer many years ago in case they became unavailable; I have not seen one advertised for 10 years now.

Registered
mgf
Make sure you get the correct one for the car, the design changed around 2000 to accommodate the pre cat sensor so the cat will have longer with the bend in post cat tube fitted. I should think your F will be of the latter design, but you never know.
If you are planning on keeping the car I wouldn鈥檛 go for the cheap Cats on eBay, they tend to last as long as the next MoT. Given the cost of the OEM part is around 拢350 and that would likely last another 20 years. I have no experience of www.cats2u.co.uk but they are selling a type approved cat for 拢250.
I had about 4 cheap Cats that cost around 拢60 but she was failing the emission test every time even last year the reading was 0.29 CO2 when the limit was 0.30 so just made it after putting in a bottle of Dipotene into the petrol.
This year I got on to Rimmers and bought a 拢158 Cat and guess what the emissions were 0.00 CO2 . They sent new gaskets and bolts with it and I put it on myself just 6 bolts. Put on a little copper grease on the bolts in case you need to remove at ant time in the future.:LOL:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts