MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently bought a white MGF VVC, early one as May 96 in Diamond White which is also quite rare. It’s done 71,000 miles and it’s now got a clean mot with no advisories. Had several MG’s over the years, but not anything since 2005. It does though need quite a bit of work, but she is 25 in a few months time; so far found the following:
1) Passenger door very stiff to open, cant use the outside handle;
2) Drivers side floor wet, although passenger side ok so will need to find out where that’s coming in...;
3) It was written off at some point in the past, although don’t know what for and got through MOT’s, so assume done ok;
4) No service history so engine work to do, although runs sweet;
5) Minor rust on the front wing, looks easy to sort;
6) Rubbers all round look like they need replacing, lots of interior trim pieces broken, front under bonnet needs a lots of work to get right;
7) Only 1 key & fob, will sort that out;
8) Front fan on constantly; could be the VVC solenoids, read that often sorts out the issues;
9) TBH, it probably needs stripping right down to see what’s what;
10) Looks like when the audio wires have all been butchered around when the replacement radio was added; and
11) No idea what the soft top is like as it has a hardtop on it and I’ve been told the soft top is original, so I expect it’s very tired.
I’m going to try & video everything as I go & gain lots of help as I go along. I could sell it for more than I paid as parts but that seems sad as these early cars are getting rarer now. Anyway a couple of pictures, will take more as we delve further into it....

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Welcome back. The MGF looks very nice - no corrosion issues mentioned. It looks like a good project. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Recently bought a white MGF VVC, early one as May 96 in Diamond White which is also quite rare. It’s done 71,000 miles and it’s now got a clean mot with no advisories. Had several MG’s over the years, but not anything since 2005. It does though need quite a bit of work, but she is 25 in a few months time; so far found the following:
1) Passenger door very stiff to open, cant use the outside handle;
2) Drivers side floor wet, although passenger side ok so will need to find out where that’s coming in...;
3) It was written off at some point in the past, although don’t know what for and got through MOT’s, so assume done ok;
4) No service history so engine work to do, although runs sweet;
5) Minor rust on the front wing, looks easy to sort;
6) Rubbers all round look like they need replacing, lots of interior trim pieces broken, front under bonnet needs a lots of work to get right;
7) Only 1 key & fob, will sort that out;
8) Front fan on constantly; could be the VVC solenoids, read that often sorts out the issues;
9) TBH, it probably needs stripping right down to see what’s what;
10) Looks like when the audio wires have all been butchered around when the replacement radio was added; and
11) No idea what the soft top is like as it has a hardtop on it and I’ve been told the soft top is original, so I expect it’s very tired.
I’m going to try & video everything as I go & gain lots of help as I go along. I could sell it for more than I paid as parts but that seems sad as these early cars are getting rarer now. Anyway a couple of pictures, will take more as we delve further into it....

View attachment 136270 View attachment 136271
I also have white diamond but not vvc engine beautiful indeed especially in full sun 🙂
Have fun with her 🙂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts