MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, is it possible to remove just the back box? Every article and thread I have read drop the whole exhaust out cat and all.

cheers,
karl

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
The problem with repalcing just part of the exhaust will be the nuts and blots as they will be non-existent or at best- snap and need drilling out. The back-box can of course be replaced - as many put loud ones on - I fitted a stainless steel TTMk1 to my sons one about 10 years ago. Ive done my exhaust from flexi , re-used CAT and back-box. It took a day but that was mainly re-drilling the CAT on the bench.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi all, is it possible to remove just the back box? Every article and thread I have read drop the whole exhaust out cat and all.

cheers,
karl
Yes - I do it every 3 years to satisfy the local vehicle inspector (I do it twice as I then revert back to the box I want on). You may have to take the bumper off depending on the size of the exhaust pipes. I do replace the bolts between the exhaust and the cat to ensure they do not rust up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right another silly question then, as I can’t quite see under the car. Is it a set of nuts and bolts that attach to the cat, so if they snap I can just replace them, or are there studs or threads which would need to be drilled out.

cheers,
Karl

·
Registered
909 Posts
Right another silly question then, as I can’t quite see under the car. Is it a set of nuts and bolts that attach to the cat, so if they snap I can just replace them, or are there studs or threads which would need to be drilled out.

cheers,
Karl
I had forgotten the cat comes with captive bolts. I had mine drilled out so that I could take off the backbox every three years.- the bolts were replaced with normal bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I may do the same, thanks guys, always like to know what I’m getting into before I start.

karl

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I think I may do the same, thanks guys, always like to know what I’m getting into before I start.

karl
Yes, thats why I said mine took me nearly a whole day to do. Good when you have time on your hands (semi-retired). i replaced all nuts/blots and washers 5 years ago now and it looks like 15 underneath! It started with the flexi being blown when i first bought the car home- once you start, you might as well replace all.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
737 Posts
I've replaced the nuts and bolts with stainless steel, just in case I have to take it apart again some day.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I don't know if anyone has realized this but the captive studs in the cat can actually be pressed out in a vise. No need to drill them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts