MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my current battery is dying or dead? I will see if I can call out the breakdown guys to advise, as the car's not starting.
I've trickle charged the battery twice in 4 days and neither charging has helped me in starting the car.
I don't use my car a lot and that's probably why the battery has died? or is it the alternator? I'm no mechanic !
If my current battery which is a Bosch has in fact died I definitely think I need a heavy duty battery, especially because the car is driven very occasionally.
Please advise what kind of battery I might require, given it's rare usage?
Thanks in advance.
Martin.

·
Registered
rover_75
26 Posts
I think my current battery is dying or dead? I will see if I can call out the breakdown guys to advise, as the car's not starting.
I've trickle charged the battery twice in 4 days and neither charging has helped me in starting the car.
I don't use my car a lot and that's probably why the battery has died? or is it the alternator? I'm no mechanic !
If my current battery which is a Bosch has in fact died I definitely think I need a heavy duty battery, especially because the car is driven very occasionally.
Thanks in advance.
Martin.
Hi Martin
If you have a good motor store near you I would get them to cross check what battery you need I was surprised to find that my battery box on my rover 75 1.8 was quite large and the battery two thirds filled it when I rang about a replacement the company sold me a larger battery and said a lot of car makers fit a smaller battery to save on costs . If your alternator is failing the battery light with stay on on the dashboard it should go out on its own without reving it hard . The battery should last ok . You could have a small drain on your system that’s making the battery flat . You can test this if you have a multimeter
Hope this helps

·
Registered
rover_75
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rogrover,

Thanks for your advice. I will call out the breakdown guys as the car won't start and they should be able to advise me, surely? I did speak to a mechanic this evening who might have a multimeter. Lets hope he comes along tomorrow.
Thank again.
Martin.

·
Registered
rover_600
122 Posts
Thanks in advance.
Martin.
You should be able to pick up a good battery with a 4 year guarantee on the interweb for about fifty pounds delivered next day I have had three over the passed few years one in the gold tourer, one in the wife’s saloon and one for the Spice tourer last year. The oldest is now seven years old and still going strong it cost just under £40 delivered next day in 2013.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
rover_75
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be able to pick up a good battery with a 4 year guarantee on the interweb for about fifty pounds delivered next day I have had three over the passed few years one in the gold tourer, one in the wife’s saloon and one for the Spice tourer last year. The oldest is now seven years old and still going strong it cost just under £40 delivered next day in 2013.

Thanks for that Alanaaslan.

·
Registered
rover_75
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am writing to advise what occurred today with the car. I called the breakdown people, after I had spoken to my mechanic friend. My friend checked the battery condition with his meter but said he couldn't assess the alternator as the car wasn't running. He felt the starter motor was at fault.

The breakdown service attended and he diagnosed ( after tapping the starter motor , several times but to no avail) that there was an electrical fault; he claimed there was no feed to the starter motor. He tried to jump start the car but again to no avail; the car wouldn't start.

The breakdown service agreed that if I could get the car out of my garage, they would re attend and take the car to a garage of my choice.My 75 is an automatic.
Now I have the hard part; to get the car out of my garage.:unsure::rolleyes:

·
Registered
rover_75
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, the post relates to my previous post of yesterday, headed " A suitable enough Car battery for Rover 75 ( Y reg connoisseur V6 auto"
A suitable enough Car Battery for Rover 75( y reg connoisseur v6 auto).

·
Registered
rover_600
122 Posts
Very surprised the breakdown man would not pull the car out of the garage. Just stick it in N and it can be pushed or pulled to be loaded on a flatbed.
Alan

·
Registered
rover_75
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep I couldn't believe their attitude; I wasn't at all pleased I can tell you. Oh and they said I could not call them back for the same issue.
Anyway, I rang back about an hour ago and they relented and agreed to re attend if I can get the car out; its a tight space and getting the car out of my garage is not easy. My garage is at the back of the property and the alleyway is tight.

·
Registered
rover_600
122 Posts
Bring back the good old days when the RAC man with his motor bike and side car always gave you a wave. Not only that he would have gone off and got a new starter motor and fitted it for you.
Sadly now all they seem to want to do is take you to the nearest garage. Surely an at home service should mean recovery from at home.
Just a silly thought the gear selector is in P or N as the car won’t start unless it is.
Alan

·
Registered
rover_75
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Things ain't what they used to be anymore, Alan, sadly.
Yep the cars in park mode as it always is when I park it in my garage.
Not saying it will start in the morning, but you never know, after the several taps that the man gave the starter motor today. And maybe pigs might fly?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts