MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this a while ago and no surprises it isn't done yet. I figure that if you are reading this you are like me and trying to keep one of these on the road despite all good sense so what you see me struggling with might, hopefully, help you in your endeavours. My particular bucket is a Mk2 180. I bought it 5 years ago and had a few years of very pleasurable motoring out of it. Clonking CV joints, rumbling wheel bearings and the tell tale signs of tin worm made me think it was time to get it up on axel stands for an extended period of fettling.

136669


Top tactical tip: take the wings off before you put it into a garage space that is not wide enough to fully open the doors.

136670


Rust is like icebergs, what you can see is only a very small proportion of what is there. A little rust hole at the front of the sill bodes ill. This was a seaside car before I had it, which guarantees the finest rust creation.

A gentle waft of the cutting disc on the near side verified that there was plenty more fun to come.

136671


The full extent of the near side was, I think I can say, as bad as I expected. The front corner of the sill, somewhat more than I expected of the front corner of the perennially soggy passenger foot well (yes, that is the head lining you can see through that triangular hole) and then the 4 layer sandwich that makes up the structural rust trap forward of the footwell all needed the heavy treatment. The bluish black colour you can see is the surface rusted but solid metal treated with Fertan, which is a tannic acid based de-rusting fluid. Many others are, I'm sure, available. This one is recommended by the MG Owners Club and available there as well as an interweb anywhere else. I've only been using it for a couple of years so not yet able to verify it's long term efficacy but it seems to do a good job at neutralising the orange oxide and it doesn't interfere with welding and takes paint nicely.

136672


I broke out my very old and seldom used tin bashing training to turn some flat sheet into repair sections.

136673


I put back the internal structure as I went. The steel I put back is slightly thicker than what was there originally, not to mention considerably thicker than what has been in there for the past few years, and with the seam welding there should be at least as much strength there as what Longbridge put there in the first place. I don't claim any prizes for beautiful welding. In my defence I'm welding upside down on the floor with no-gas fluxed wire. The only objective was rigidity which was regularly confirmed with a 2lb hammer.

136674


And no small amount of cursing and bleeding later, one side is looking more like a solid motor car again.
136675


A truism of motoring is that, 'if it has gone on one side, it needs doing on the other side as well'. I'll post that and more recent adventures when I can.
 

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
Joined
·
104 Posts
Amazing job!!!

Στάλθηκε από το Mi A2 Lite μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
rover_45
Joined
·
24 Posts
Amazing job!!!

Στάλθηκε από το Mi A2 Lite μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
Found box section on inner wing under wheel arch has rust holes so will probably all need cutting out and a new section welding in on drivers side. Only found it because I took plastic arch liner off to look at something else. No doubt other side will be the same. It wasn't seen on the MOT inspection last month. The plastic liner hides it from view but obviously not protected it very well.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top