MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its only started doing this since a fuel stop a couple days ago. it will fire up fine like it always done, and then after a couple seconds it starts to stumble and run lumpy whilst blowing blue-white smoke. if you rev it, its boggy and just makes more smoke. if you keep it running till it warms up a bit or accelerate hard it clears and drives relatively normally after but has intermittent loss of power or the power feeds in more gradual than the usual surge (even when foot is planted) I've noticed a semi intermittent "buzz" at idle from the bottom of the pump...

it sounds like its from the Timing solenoid area but I'm not getting the "tractor syndrome" clacking noise as of yet. (if anything it sounds quieter, maybe retarded injection timing?)

no mil light on the dash

is it possible im having the start of timing solenoid failure? and if so are the solenoids the same as the later fully electronic pumps?

cars done 185k
has a 45 intercooler fitted
no EGR
18psi boost

so far I've changed the fuel filter today, and put injector cleaner in the tank.

any one ever had similar on mechanical L series?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi,
Sounds like you got a dodgy batch of fuel. As for the intermittent power loss have you checked your inter cooler hoses for any splits?
Not sure the mechanical pumps have a timing solenoid like the VP30 later pump has.
Regards

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have checked the hoses and all seems fine. before the problems, Usually, when wide open throttle is used i get a small puff of black smoke till the boost comes on and it clears to a light haze until full boost when its then completely clean emissions, pulls like a train.

so far I've had WOT and just thick black smoke and the engine doesn't pull, but i can hear the turbo spool, come off the throttle and back on and it will accelerate like I'm only at half throttle (even though its WOT), completely clean exhaust. (should mean that the turbo wastegate is shut at the time too id have thought)

and then couple miles later i get full power like i used to.

if you start the car from cold and just watch it run, it will run perfect for say 10 seconds, then the diesel knock gets quieter and quieter till then starts lightly stumbling and missing with blue haze from the exhaust, as it does this the diesel knock then comes back and it runs ok again and will do this for 5 mins or so. if you try and drive it and baby it you get clouds of smoke unless you give it WOT and it some times clears it enough to drive it. .

i feel something is making the timing wander about.

when i get the buzzing from the pump i get normal diesel knock, when it stops buzzing the knock lessens and the engine starts mis behaving

I'm wondering if the timing solenoid is just plum worn out, or even the filter gauze around it blocked up from dodgy fuel or both!

I've also seen mention of a relief valve for the internal case pressure regulation have issues on 200 300tdi pumps so i guess i could look at that too,

if i can find out if the timing solenoid is the same as the vp30 pumps, i have a dead EDC pump on a 1.8 tddi engine i could potentially use.

I've found loads of people have issues with the vp30 rovers, and non with the mechanical so I'm guessing info's gonna be pretty scarce :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi, does it start ok from cold? Is it the cable type pump or fly-by-wire?
Stuck EGR valve? think that can cause smoke, I blanked mine off on my old 400.
Cannot help you with the timing solenoid, know the later VP30 pump has one on and this is what I want to change on mine but not 100% convinced.
Hope you can sort it as not many of these oldies still going now!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well.. changed the solenoid over to the transit one. still doing exactly the same. changed the relief valve over to use the vp30 one....still the same. changed the crank sensor over and its slightly better but now its consistently flat from about 2k upwards with gradual increases and decreases of power as you accelerate through to red line. ive just put fresh fuel in it so i'll see what its like in the morning from cold and see if the power is any better. ill whip off the LDA and check the diaphragm but i think it'll be ok. I'm about ready to rip the whole lot out and fit a fully mechanical pump from something else to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts