MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1996 Rover 200 Vi

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Obiwancanblome 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought i'd start a thread in here about my rover 200vi which i saved from being scrapped. Picked it up today from daventry and paid £50 whole english pounds for it. Its a bit of a mess cosmetically and it is already booked in for it's head gasket and service in the new year with dave and co.

It's a shame its been left to get in the state it has but i'm pleased to say that it's in good hands now and it will be lovingly restored to (almost) it's former glory.

It's a nice spec, Heated washer jets, Electric Sunroof (no leaks!), Front fogs, original rover torch in the glove box, electric windows, original rover stereo with 6 cd changer under the passenger seat, height adjustable seats, fabric grey on black 2 tone seats and all its original books.

Work to be done is quite extensive with rust on all the arches, lacquer peel on the boot, headlamps are beyond help, abs reluctor ring has failed, battery tray has rusted, temp guage is not working and a few other minor bits and bobs. I'm hoping to have it on the road and ready for POL 2016 and with it potentially being the very last of the 1996 Vi's, i think it will have a nice story to tell by then.

thanks

See less See more
#6 ·
Looks like £50 well spent. Has a the hg actually gone?

I touched up my r200 arches this autumn by rubbing down, applying rust killer, filler, zinc primer and paint. Happy with the result, but not 'as new' standard and yet to see how it lasts. New bare wings were available for ~£30,. But the sills, rear arches etc will start to cost, if you are having to cut out and weld in. Are you going for show standard and going to pay what it takes given this is a Vi?

#8 ·
ok so i now have 2 vi's and the saga begins.

The blue one just went for its mot and failed on a brake pipe thats corroded and needs replacing. It's also failed on 2 outer sills that need replacing. Now bear in mind that i paid peanuts for it i believe its worth fixing. I'm just trying to find a decent welder now that will take on the job.

The red one has a misfire at idle and from 2000rpm up to 3500rpm. Ive changed the sparks, no difference, i've ordered a new coil pack as i've read on several search sites that this might also be the culprit. If the coil pack doesn't solve the problem, my next port of call will be the temp and oxygen sensors. beyond this i can only imagine the timing being slightly off but i doubt that this is the case.

#11 ·
hi just an update on the vi restoration and repair.

Little Red (as it's now known) is now running beautifully. I ordered a new coil pack which i'm still waiting on and in the meantime i decided to have a look at the leads themselves. I did a quick fire test by seeing if the leads arc when pulled off the plug slightly.

No.1 lead: No arc
Numbers 2 through 4 firing as they should.

So i quickly popped around to the garage and nicked one of little blues magnacore leads and shoved that on. Worked a treat and now little red is as quick as anything. Even with the plastic throttle body, it's still really quick so i'll be interested to see if an alloy throttle body will help her even more.

Updating on Little Blue. She's booked in for a complete front to back re-weld of the sills and a new brake pipe in the new year. After that, dave and co are going to give it the works in terms of a new HG and all associated parts. So, once all this is sorted, it will just be cosmetic issues to sort and a bit of tidying up and they should both be in tip top condition by hopefully the middle of next year. How i'm going to get 3 cars to POL is beyond me but i'm sure i'll find a way.

All the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.